United front to showcase North East innovation
17 September 2013
United front to showcase north east innovation
A showcase of some of the best in North East business and innovation will be put before Ministers and MPs at this year's party political conferences.
The region's public and private sectors have joined forces to stage a series of events highlighting the North East's credentials in innovation, its contribution to UK Plc and demonstrating its untapped potential.
Northumbrian Water, ANEC and the North East Chamber of Commerce (NECC) are working together on the ‘Made in Britain - the Best of North East Innovation' events, which provide a platform for the strengths of the North East as a place to invest and do business.
The region's two Local Enterprise Partnership are also on board along with eight businesses that range from global household-name brands to small local firms, but who are all leaders in their own specific field.
Heidi Mottram, Chief Executive of Northumbrian Water, said:
'Innovation is at the core of what we do at Northumbrian Water. We are pushing at the frontiers of how we treat water and waste water and are leading our industry in the creation of power from waste water.'
'The challenge we face in the North East is to create a culture of innovation. We have it in our genes because people in the North East have been leading pioneers since the Victorian times.'
'If we can harness this and encourage people to bring forward their ideas, combined with the spirit of passion and optimism in the North East, we can go from strength to strength.'
Councillor Paul Watson, Chair of ANEC, said:
'Our credentials in innovation, ideas, cutting edge technologies and industries make the North East the place to invest and do business in. We have seen some phenomenal developments in engineering and advanced manufacturing, chemical, automotive, new and renewable energy and digital industries.'
'Innovation is at the heart of our vision for economic growth - and together, we are making great strides in taking forward ways to support innovation, develop more business start-ups, the commercialisation of new products and processes and in engaging with major global players.'
NECC Chief Executive, James Ramsbotham, said:
'The time has come for the UK's decision makers and opinion formers to recognise the true potential of the North East. We boast some of the best parts of the economy, we're a manufacturing powerhouse, lead the country in exports, have a burgeoning creative sector and cutting edge innovation.
'This event not only showcases the fantastic work being carried out across our diverse business base - it is also an example of how we are a united region. Our businesses and public bodies want the same things, rapid and sustained economic growth.'
A DVD and downloadable video highlighting regional innovation has also been produced (available here: http://www.necc.co.uk/cattest/2185-made-in-britain-the-best-of-north-east-innovation) and will be in packs given to event attendees along with NECC's '50 Great Reasons', which highlights North East economic strengths.
The companies featuring in ipad applications at the conference events include are:
- Fifteen Digital - Innovative ecommerce system (Darlington)
- Kromek - Digital x-ray equipment for security, medical and industrial inspection and defence markets (Durham)
- Palintest - World leading water testing technology with variety of applications exporting to almost every country (Gateshead)
- Durable Technologies - Energy efficient light sensors, products include light and motion detectors. Major money/energy saver. (Hartlepool)
- Reece Group Ltd - holding group for five engineering companies that operate across the globe (Newcastle)
- Lucite International - Leading acrylics manufacturer, European R&D based in Tees Valley (Redcar and Cleveland)
- Nissan - Sunderland Plant produces 25% UK's cars including manufacture of the Leaf electric vehicle (Sunderland).
- Northumbrian Water Advanced Anaerobic Digestion provides Northumbrian Water with an innovative solution to regional sludge management and has the added benefit of creating renewable energy.
Find out more about: